Operated by the Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy, Schenley Plaza is located between the Carnegie and Hillman Libraries, the Cathedral of Learning, and the Frick Fine Arts Building. Formerly an asphalt parking lot, this much-loved community greenspace attracts hundreds of thousands of visitors every year, providing gathering places, entertainment, and a grand entrance to Schenley Park.
The Plaza features:
A one-acre lawn
Ever-changing ornamental gardens, and landscaping featuring plants native to western Pennsylvania
Offering breakfast, lunch, and dinner
Free fitness, family, and entertainment programs
A tented area, chairs, and café tables
- The PNC Carousel
- Unlimited, free wifi
- Clean, wheelchair-accessible restrooms
- 24-hour security
Used as a parking lot for decades, the five-acre Schenley Plaza was restored to its intended use by the Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy and its community partners in 2006. A second phase of the Plaza's revitalization, the restoration of the Mary Schenley Memorial Fountain, was completed in 2008. Future plans for the site include the restoration of the Magee Memorial Fountain in front of the Carnegie Library. A full-service restaurant, The Porch at Schenley, opened in the Plaza in the fall of 2011.
- Silver Award for Environmentally Sustainable Projects from The International Awards for Livable Communities (2009)
- IDA Pinnacle Award for Public Space from the International Downtown Association (2009)
- Commonwealth Award (Silver) from 10thousand Friends of Pennsylvania (2009)
- Best Place to Hang Out from The Pitt News (2008)
- 10 Best Bet Award from 10Best.com / Trusted Advice for Travelers (2008)
- Dominion Community Impact Award (2006)
Interested in holding an event at Schenley Plaza?
Tell us about yourself and your event. Events submitted through this form are not yet confirmed. Submit the form below and someone from the Parks Conservancy will get in touch about your event.
Dining at Schenley Plaza
Food Kiosk Asia Tea House
Offers fresh sushi and other Asian cuisine such as fried rice and egg rolls.
Food Kiosk Mesa
Brings a bit of New Mexico to the Plaza with tamales, enchiladas, and other flavorful dishes.
Full Service Restaurant The Porch at Schenley
A full-service restaurant located in the Plaza’s northwest corner near the Hillman Library.