ABOUT THE PROGRAM
Park Stars are important on-the-ground advocates for Pittsburgh's wonderful park places. As a non-profit organization, the Pittsburgh Parks Conservancy has limited resources and staffing to be in every neighborhood and every park. Park Stars are critical to rally the awareness and support needed to ensure that all Pittsburghers have access to vibrant parks.
Park Stars are connectors. As a trusted source of information for their friends and neighbors, they have the power to inspire communities to not only care about parks, but to connect them with those who can affect change, such as local officials and politicians.
how to be a park star
PARK STARS PLEDGE TO:
- Commit to at least one year of service
- Attend a mandatory training on the Park Stars program
- Support the parks through active engagement with friends, family, local elected officials, media, community members, and anyone who benefits from a strong park system
- Report monthly on Park Stars activities
PARKS CONSERVANCY STAFF WILL ENGAGE PARK STARS THROUGH:
- Mandatory training
- Bi-monthly emails with information about upcoming events, calls to action, exclusive Park Stars events
- Monthly meetings
- Individual quarterly check-ins
- Opportunities for ongoing training such as:
- Educational training on specific park political or civic issues
- Communications training on the best ways to tell the park system story
park star clean ups JOIN THE PARK STARS CLEAN UP EFFORT AT LOCAL PARKS:
Please consider giving back to one of Pittsburgh's many parks through a unique volunteer clean up effort. Not only are you helping to care for the parks, but you also have the chance to explore a new park or trail at the same time!
- Volunteers will focus on litter picking and debris removal.
- Volunteers can pick their own park, day, and time!
- Volunteers do not need to be part of the larger Park Stars network to participate.
Share photos from your clean up effort by emailing email@example.com, or by tagging us on social media #PGHParkChampion @PittsburghParks. Please reach out to Erin with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org